Sunday, March 8, 2009

Whatever's in the fridge Jambalya

You can use, leftover cooked chicken, ham, bacon, sausage, turkey, steak (in Maine we add Shrimp in season) or any combination of the above! (If you like hot sausage, add it in!-this includes the cheapest kind to the more extravagant andouille, linguica or chaurice)

Don't let the quantities mess you up, there really is no science and everyone loves mine and I just throw whatever I have that could be getting old in the fridge.

If everything is cooked all ready, I just throw them in a stock pot and warm them up, if I have some uncooked stuff around, I cook it up and drain it, then add everything else in to warm it up.

Then saute your tired vegetables like,
Onion, leeks, scallions, shallots
Peppers, any bell will do
garlic - 3-6 cloves - depending on how you much you like garlic
chopped celery
tomatoes (I use whatever I have-even if they are a bit shriveled) depending on how many tomatoes you have, you may want to have a can of diced tomatoes on the side - to add later, if you think you need it.

Add RICE:
If you have some cooked rice hanging around use it, if not 2 cups of cooked rice (I LOVE Basmati, the taste and how it stands up being used as leftovers) some people use Uncle Ben's - I don't love that because it is really starchy, but it is an easy option. I will tell you not to use Minute Rice- if you use it, don't plan on using this as leftovers or it will become mush.

For Spicy option:, ONLY if you and the people are feeding like it with ZIP-if you have spicy sausage all ready in there, keep this in mind.

Zippy seasoning blend (I use: 1 teaspoons cayenne, 1 teaspoons black pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme to taste (or 2 - 3 tablespoons); 2 bay leaves

Vegetarians: I have vegetarian friends that do not use any meat at all. They add spinach, olives and sometimes tofu chunks, as well as the veggies they love but they use BROWN or long grain rice instead of white. It tastes really good!

No comments: